Tuesday, 3 April 2012

Reliable Cone 6 Glaze - Chrome Tin Red

Flower Sculpture Glazed in Chrome Tin Red at Cone 6

This flower sculputure was made some months ago now and intended to be used on a steel rod in the garden. However, it looks just a nice sitting on a table. I have glazed this piece using a Cone 6 glaze called Chrome Tin Red. Its one of the most reliable cone 6 glazes I have ever used and you can experiment as I have done, by overspraying with other glazes to see what happens. Here I have used 'Fake Blue Ash' and a glaze called 'Nutmeg'. I used a white earthenware paperclay from 'Blackwattle Pottery' located in Ingleburn NSW. John manufuctures his own clays onsight and I have found them to be excellent. The white earthenware clay I buy from John are recommended to be fired to 1150 deg c from memory, but I find it fires to 1200c with no issues to date. I have also used his 'White Grog Raku' clay for my raku pieces.

Here is the recipe for 'Chrome Tin Red' Cone 6 Glaze' - sometimes known as 'Raspberry Red' or 'Burgundy Red'

Whiting:
21.00
Grams
Gerstley Borate:
8.00
Grams
Chrome Oxide:
0.20
Grams
Edgar Plastic Kaolin:
9.00
Grams
Talc:
4.00
Grams
Tin Oxide:
5.00
Grams
Custer Feldspar:
31.00
Grams
Ferro Frit 3134:
9.00
Grams
Silica:
18.00
Grams


No fussy around with the firing of this glaze and I have found that it fires well no matter what the firing schedule, but I would recommend a hold for 1/2 hr at around 900c on the way back down. I have even used this glaze in single firing with good results. Good luck and drop me a line to let me know what you think of this glaze.


Detail of Glaze


12 comments:

  1. Do you have a clear coat over the top? Or is the finish that of the chrome tin red glaze itself?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amos, What you see is the chrome tin red glaze. Its a very high gloss glaze. The purplish/blue colour you see in areas would be from the 'fake blue ash' glaze that I sprayed over the chrome tin red glaze.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the recipe and info, I love the color ... I have been looking for a good red and will try yours... I have just finished a large test on recipe re-dos and love the results I have found. I make big bird houses and need a collection of reliables to get to work on the coloring. And the purple hue is amazing.
      Thanks again...

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the clarification. Do you happen to have the fake blue ash glaze recipe? I am hoping that the addition of a small amount of aluminium will not mat the glaze too much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great site with much information. Thank you.
    Anderson Pottery, Rockport, Texas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Mike. Happy to share. :)

      Delete
  5. Kevin Austin Korb14 May 2013 at 06:07

    You Rock...I love this glaze. I used it on a casserole dish for a Mother's Day gift

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jan
    love your red glaze. Can you please share your fake ash glaze recipe too. I simply love the sparkle of blue over the red. Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jan, the red of this glaze is beautiful. Judging from the materials list sounds food safe. But would like confirmation before using it on dishes to be used with food. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi wrensfield. I use this glaze on clay the matures or vitrifies at cone 6 and have also done the leaching test with lemon overnight and for the clay I use, it has been fine. However I do not use in the oven or microwave, or the dishwasher, so cannot comment about that. It does not craze on the clay I have used, but it would be a matter of doing your own tests as per usual to make sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is this oxidation or reduction firing?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kaia. It is oxidation

    ReplyDelete