Sunday 5 June 2011

Welcome to my Blog


My initial interest in pottery/ceramics started in high school. Later in life, I set up a small home studio and bought a pottery wheel.  I completed courses at technical college which was a great experience and I learnt alot. The areas  I have explored over the years include; Raku, Woodfiring, Sawdust and Pit Firing. I make both sculptural and functional pieces. The differant surfaces, textures and objects from nature attract me such as lichen, rocks, feathers and shells.  I like to collect things from nature as well as made objects that make permanent marks on the clay surface. Making and using handmade sprigs and stamps from clay and plaster is another way to leave marks on clay too. Most recently, my interest has been focused on researching Cone 6 glazes and I have made quite a few glazes that I am nearly ready to test. The results of which I will post on this page. I am happy to share recipes and ideas with anyone who is interested, which is the whole idea of my blog.

Thanks for taking the time to have a look today.


                                            



Australian Banksia - Handbuillt in white raku clay, then applied red clay terrasig that i found locally. Pit fired in sawdust, seaweed, salt, copper carb, copper sulphate, banana skins.



Handbuilt in white raku. Oxides and underglazes applied prior to bisque. Dry glaze applied then fired to Cone 6.


Handbuilt then painted with acrylics.

 














  
Thrown in white earthenware. Terrasig applied then burnished and bisque fired.
Raku fired, horse hair and sugar placed on pots after being taken straight from the kiln.
   




Handbuilt in white raku then terrasig applied and burnished. Pit fired.




Thrown in white earthenware. Terrasig applied, burnished and bisqued. Raku fired then bird feather and sugar placed on pots straight after being taken from the kiln.







Thrown in white earthenware, terrasig applied and burnished. Pot on the left wrapped in copper wire, both pit fired with combustibles such a sawdust, seaweed, copper carb, dried banana skins and salt for added surface decoration effects.


 



Both thrown in white raku. Raku fired, white crackle glaze with copper carbonate brushed over glaze.

No comments:

Post a Comment